Friday, April 24, 2009

Shattered

There was a pact made

To share with someone this little experience I have gained

It may be a real long period ago

But I want to let this person know

That I have not forgotten

The experience is short, and may not even be glorious to be discussed about now

An Airborne experience

Some may know, while many may not

I have survived the first jump, but only to succumb to an earlier existing injury

Hence forbade to take subsequent plunges

And even restricted me to run

"Don't you worry, I am walking still..."

Anyway my journey here in Hendon is coming to an end

The first jump was second on schedule as the actual first was cancelled due to strong winds

Sembawang Airbase the dropzone

Pre-jump preparations and briefing up at the wee hours of the night

It was a Chinook jump

With the heavy parachute strapped on and the uncomfortable harness worn

We sat and waited, stared blankly at the wide blue sky

Everything felt like yesterday's peacefulness until it was our turn to load up

"C'mon this is it. Just get the hell up there, leap off and land safely. Everything would be fine and I will go home tomorrow to see my family."

Trying to put up a face as still as possible

But right under the shattering mask hides a fear that was ready to erupt any moment

The Chinook landed, the signal given

With a few jumpmasters, we ran like crazy folks towards its rear

The two giant propellers sent huge waves of hot wind that slaps us with absolutely no mercy

And the high engine heat blowing right onto our expressionless faces that were turning sheet-white

Anxiety and fear

Up we go, the Chinook levitated and within a couple of minutes, we were looking down at the entire dropzone from 1000 ft

I swore my heart beat that fast my mind should have given up calming myself down

Green light 'ON'

That was the signal for the jumpmaster to start dispatching the jumpers

First man flew off

MOVE FORWARD

Second man flew off

MOVE FORWARD

Hands jerking, lips trembling, legs shivering

GO! Off I flew

I knew I shouted the drill commands, but the resonance of my voice seemed hidden somewhere down my throat

The chute opened 5 seconds upon exit

It was eerily quiet up there, so quiet, how surreal

And the peacefulness that earlier vanished slowly found its way back into me

The bird eye view was superb I must say

But there was not much time to enjoy the scenery

We would touch ground in approximate less than or in a minute

Lastly the touchdown ended the exciting yet quiet jump abruptly

This is Airborne, my airborne, my experience

When will yours be

And will you share it

With me

No comments: